- The Scout develops an interest in a merit badge and may begin working on the requirements.
- The Scout and scoutmaster discuss the Scout’s interest in the merit badge.
- The scoutmaster signs a blue card and provides the Scout with at least one counselor contact.
- The Scout contacts the counselor.
- The counselor considers any work toward requirements completed prior to the initial discussion with the unit leader.
- The Scout, the Scout’s buddy or parent, and the counselor meet (often several times).
- The Scout finishes the requirements.
- The counselor approves completion.
- The Scout returns the signed blue card to the unit leader, who signs the applicant record section of the blue card.
- The scoutmaster gives the Scout the applicant record.
- The Scout turns in the blue card to the Advancement Chair.
- The Advancement Chair reports completion of the merit badge.
- The Scout receives the merit badge at the next Court of Honor.
The Merit Badge Counselor list is a compilation of counselors from all units in the council that use Scoutbook. Indian Peaks has a list of over 1000 Merit Badge Counselors. Scoutmasters have access to a search form is provided so you can search by merit badge, proximity to the unit’s zip code and availability status of the counselor.
More information can be found in the Troop 278 Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)