Boy Scout Klondike
WHERE: Reverends Ridge Campground, Golden Gate State Park, Blackhawk, CO
DEPART: 4:00pm Friday, February 10, 2017
RETURN: about 9:00pm, Saturday, February 11, 2017
BRING: Please plan on bringing the following:
- Completed Medical Form (Parts A and B)
- Winter Clothing: PLEASE bring PAC boots or Snow boots and NO cotton clothing. Recommendations can be found at: Klondike Clothing Recommendations
- A daypack with the 10 Essentials
- A filled Water Bottle
- A sack dinner for Friday night (Boy Scouts and adults only)
NOTE: The 2017 Klondike Leader Guide contains a LOT of very useful information about the event and how to camp safely in the winter. I highly recommend reading it if it is your son’s first Klondike event (and even if it isn’t!) We will review the key concepts during troop meetings leading up to the event.
- Adults and Youth Participants: $20
- City Staff or Order of the Arrow volunteers: $14
- Webelos or Arrow of Light Scouts (Saturday only): $5
- Breakfast (Boy Scouts only): $3
- Lunch (All participants): $4
- Dinner (All participants): $5
- Gas Money (please provide to your driver): $2
Event Point of Contact: Mike Heilbron
Boy Scout Klondike is an annual event sponsored by the Indian Peaks and Mountain View Districts of the Longs Peak Council, BSA. This year, we will be joined by the Centennial District of the Denver Area Council.
This event is a lot of fun! Scouts will spend the day steering their “dog sled” (a sled designed and built last year by the troop) between multiple activity stations that are called cities. In this case, however, the “dogs” are fellow Scouts, who pull the sled wherever the “musher” Scout directs them to go. City activities are all Scout-related – expect events like first aid, physical fitness, nature identification and cooking. For dinner, we typically cook a meal in a Dutch Oven, and head to a campfire afterwards.
We will return home after the campfire unless we are able to find additional adults that can camp Saturday night.
Webelos and Arrow of Light Scouts are welcome to join us for the day on Saturday. Please plan on arriving by 8am (or let me know if you will be late, so that we can direct you to our sled crew.)